Starting up issues with the Raphael Kit

I have always been impressed with SunFounder products - the quality, the attention to detail and the level of support. I mention this up-front so that you can know that I am a fan of SunFounder and their products.

However, this time I am having problems right up front…

Firstly the T-shaped break out board and its cable. In the online instructions one can see that the black wire of the cable fits on the Pi 4B board’s GPIO pins furthest from the network socket. When that cable is married up with the T-shaped breakout board then there is a locating lug which lines up with the back of the T-shaped breakout board’s connector BUT the cut-out for it is on the front of that board’s connector.

Some pictures to illustrate:-
Cable attached to Pi 4B
The locating lug on the other end of the cable
Showing the matching slot on the wrong side of the T-shaped breakout board

The next issue is with the online tutorial: the tutorial has a section at the top that let’s you connect the rPi 4B to the tutorial. It starts off by saying Disconnected in RED. The SunFounder-Create-Agent-linux.deb file downloads. You’re then told to install that, but the installation fails:-

pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ sudo apt install ./SunFounder-Create-Agent-linux.deb
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Note, selecting ‘sunfounder-create-agent’ instead of ‘./SunFounder-Create-Agent-linux.deb’
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
sunfounder-create-agent : PreDepends: python3.7 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

The environment is BUSTER and Python is at v3.9.2.

How do I fix these issues?

Replying to my own post :slight_smile: regarding the cable to the T-shaped breakout board : clearly the cable is a parallel cable with no crossing wires, so, removing it and fitting it in the opposite way round to the picture in the tutorial, it then fits properly.

I realise that the above should be obvious, but the tutorial is aimed at total beginners - from a hardware and wiring point of view, that’s me. From the s/w point of view I have lots of experience but Linux is not one of my particular areas of expertise.

So that only leaves the first issue to resolve.

Please check the correct connection method

My cable is not the same as the one in your picture. Look in your first picture: you will see that the black wire is on the left, the orange wire is on the right, and the lug (pointed to by the red arrow) is on the front.

Now, if you look at the second picture in my original post you can see that to have the lug on the front, the cable is wired with the black wire on the right, and the orange wire is on the left. It is wired the opposite way around to your pictures and to the pictures in the tutorials.

However, since there are no wires that cross over - i.e. it’s a straight end-to-end wiring - I can simply plug it in the other way around and it fits and it works.

It’s just confusing (so no need to replace the part, for example).

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, it does not correspond to our cable color, but it does not affect the normal work, GPIO cable and T-type interface are one-to-one correspondence, and the cable color does not matter.

1 Like