Pironman 5 fans stay on when shut down

Hey Everyone! Just got my Pironman 5 case a few days ago, got it all installed and running but noticed the 2 rear fans stay on after system shutdown. I’m running Batocera OS, latest version i believe as I had to update to the current stable release for the Pironman 5 software to be available in the setup over ssh.

All fans turn off and on with them temp settings but as soon as I power down the rear fans either stay on, if they were on, or turn on if they were off and just run. Left it awhile thinking maybe the temp went up, but gave it hours and they were still running. I don’t believe that is supposed to happen, any ideas?

I found the topic where the eeprom must be updated, but I’m batocera.

So what command edits that on batocera

https://docs.sunfounder.com/projects/pironman5/en/latest/set_up/set_up_batocera.html

You can also try this :

1 Like

sudo does not work in batocera.

I did type “rpi-eeprom-config -e” which brings up the:

POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=0

However, " Press Ctrl + X , Y and Enter to save the changes" does not work. Hence me asking what do I need to enter or what keys will do this in batocera. The link you provided I did all the steps, but it does not cover the editing of the eeprom config on that page.

I’ve try with a new installation of latest version of Batocera 40 mounted on SD card, configure with SSH, installing Pironman5 software and rebooting, all work fine. Then I shut it down, all fans are off, there’s only red led close to SD card and green led on gpio board on.

In SSH go see setting of eeprom : rpi-eeprom-config -e

That’s what I got :

1 Like

not sure why but mine reads:

I did everything as you said… So how do I change it?

By my side, I copy Batocera on SD from imager with os recommended on my NVMe. I don’t know, if you install basic os bookworm into another SD, modify eeprom power_off_on_half to 1, then remove OS SD card and install Batocera SD card, see if it change the eeprom setting. Or if you didn’t have another SD card, you can also take usd drive.

Hope you understand what I mean. My English isn’t perfect, I’m better in french :smile:

1 Like

No I really appreciate the help. I do think I understand but It did not work. There has to be a way to edit and save it… In windows powershell I can pull it up, if i type “qa qa” it goes into an edit mode and I can change the 0 to 1 but I don’t know what I have to do to save it. Or what command to enter to edit it…

I don’t know neither. But I think that eeprom is saved on board, so maybe if you install rasbian OS on another SD card, boot with it, go in terminal and change eeprom settings. Shut it down, put back the SD card with Batocera and boot it and see if eeprom settings is fine.

1 Like

OK! First, Weirdguy, thank you for your time! I have finally found the answer!

When I open the eeprom file “rpi-eeprom-config -e” to edit it (at least with batocera and or ssh with windows powershell) you have to hit “i” to enter insert mode, that is when I could switch the 0 for 1 and hit escape to go back to normal mode. Then, typing “:wq” will write and quit. A reboot to engage changes and done.

Here is a page that lists all vim commands to help anyone that find themselves in this or similar.

That’s very good to know. So that’s fix the issue with RGB fan always ON when system is shutdown?

Yeah, sure did. From what I gathered, the POWER_OFF_ON_HALT is what controls the power rails. If set to 0 like it was, they stay energized after shutdown (keeping fans on). 1 means they turn off after shutdown is complete leaving only the red status led on the pi board lit red.

That’s right :+1:t2:. Enjoy your Pironman5 now. If you have any question feel free. :smile:

1 Like