Pironman 5 (original version) fan always on after Raspberry Pi 5 kernel update

Hi,

after updating/upgrading my raspberry pi os packages I noticed my pironman5 case was no longer working. The screen was off and the fan was on full.

The screen is back after running this command I saw in another thread

sudo /opt/pironman5/venv/bin/pip3 install --upgrade adafruit-blinka rpi-lgpio lgpio

But the fan remains on full, I have tried changing the settings from the dashboard and also command line.

How can I get pironman5 service to control the fan again?

Thank you for your patience. Based on our investigation, this issue is related to a compatibility problem after upgrading to kernel 6.12.96 — this kernel version has a gpiochip compatibility issue that prevents the pironman5 service from accessing the GPIO correctly, which causes the fan to lose control and run at full speed. The dependency update command you ran is a solution we tested previously, but we still need to confirm why fan control has not been restored.

Please proceed as follows:

If you have not rebooted the Raspberry Pi since running the dependency update, please reboot first:
sudo reboot

If the fan is still running at full speed after the reboot, please provide the full output of the following commands:
uname -r
sudo systemctl status pironman5 --no-pager -l
sudo journalctl -u pironman5 -b -n 100 --no-pager

Also, could you confirm whether the fan running at full speed is the case RGB fan or the CPU cooling fan? They are driven by different control logic, so knowing which one helps us locate the issue faster.

This information will help us check the service status after the update and whether fan control is still reporting errors. Once we receive it, we will get back to you with the next steps as soon as possible.

Thank you for your cooperation, and please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

1 Like

thanks, it is the big fans on the back. I have kind of got it working, but not permanently

I think I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it:

curl -sSL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sunfounder/pironman5/v1/install.sh" -o install.sh

found this in another post

sudo /opt/pironman5/venv/bin/pip3 install --upgrade adafruit-blinka rpi-lgpio lgpio

google ai suggested

sudo ln -sf gpiochip0 /dev/gpiochip4

now it works but I have to do the last part each reboot, and now the screen is scrambled but the fans respond to commands