Piornman5 Fan Issues

I just assembled my Piornman5 following documents. Got most of everything working. Seems that I’m running into something just with my Fans.

So my PWM Fan does not spin at all other than when the Pi5 running PiOS is booting up. Once the OS starts the PWM Fan stops. I already double check connection as well.

Looking at the web dash for Pironman5 I can see my PWM Fan speed at 0 and Temps are high just trying to figure this out. I’ve adjusted FAN Modes through all ranges and is currently set to Always On and the PWM fan still does not spin. Both through web dash and commands always restarting .service for each change.

Running the command to check PWM status:
cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0/cur_state

I’m hit with “No such file or directory”

Then with the two RGB Fans shouldn’t those also be listed in the Web Dash? I followed assembly instructions to the tee, not sure where I went wrong.

Any insight to get me pointed in the right direction to get this issue sorted is much appreciated!

Update: looking at Logs I came across this in fan_control

• 24/09/05 21:05:01.969 [INFO] PWM Fan is supported, sync all other fan with pwm fan
  • 24/09/05 21:05:15.494 [WARNING] GPIO Fan init failed, disable gpio_fan control

Hopefully that will give some more insight.

1 Like

Is your tower cooler fan not working?
What system are you currently using, and what is the version of the system?
We recommend reinstalling the Raspberry Pi system and trying again.
Under normal circumstances, running the command to check the PWM status:

cat /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0/cur_state

should produce output and not return an “No such file or directory” error.
If a PWM fan is connected, it will print “1”; otherwise, it will print “0”.
To check the PWM fan speed, execute the following command:

cat /sys/devices/platform/cooling_fan/hwmon/*/fan1_input

If a PWM fan is connected, it will display the speed value; otherwise, the speed will be 0.
Please pay attention to whether the PWM fan operates momentarily right after startup.

I’m running latest versions of Pi OS 64bit.The PWM Fan operates at startup sometimes. There was a point in trouble shooting where I rebooted and upon start up the fan came on and stayed on but it only got sped up to 700RPM max and was not cooling efficiently. Temps hit 90F+ with no increase in fan speed. I turned off device after a small bit of time to prevent overeating my Pi. The next start up the PWM fan did not spin at all, even at start up.

Haven’t booted back up since. Though I did run those commands you mentioned and for both I get “No such file or directory” still.

I reimaged my nmve with the same version of Pi OS after installing Pironman Module steps were completed the Pi restarted and the PWM Fan still failed to spin and have same behavior of spinning at boot up, but not once the OS is running.

Hi. I also have a similar issue. the PWM fan will start when you turn it on and then will not operate. i currently get:-
cat /sys/devices/platform/cooling_fan/hwmon/*/fan1_input 0

I can also not tune the rgb fans. They are permanently on. I have used the terminal and the web based pironman dashboard but it will not work. I can change the colours etc on the other board but nothing will stop the rgb fans?

1 Like

Try this to downgrade eeprom version, reboot and see if it fix the issue

rpi-update 44a287fe97c04506841fe3b3e794c70a2e01c7de

I Downgraded, It did not fix the PWM Fan, but I do see the state of the GPIO Fans on the Web Dashboard! Somewhat of progress?

I am still seeing this in the Dashboard Logs for Fans:

[INFO] PWM Fan is supported, sync all other fan with pwm fan
[WARNING] GPIO Fan init failed, disable gpio_fan control

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one I though this was a mistake I made… pwm fan is showing the same error logs, the RGB fans are annoyingly running at fulls speed no matter what setting I put them in, I’ve tried both trough the console and trough the dashboard still running at full speed…Ive tried everything suggested here and no fix.

1.PWM Fan Not Working
The PWM fan on the Pironman 5 is controlled by the Raspberry Pi system. The operation of the PWM fan is based on the temperature of the Raspberry Pi 5:
Below 50°C, the PWM fan remains off (0% speed).
At 50°C, the fan starts at a low speed (30% speed).
Reaching 60°C, the fan increases to a medium speed (50% speed).
At 67.5°C, the fan ramps up to a high speed (70% speed).
When the temperature exceeds 75°C, the fan operates at full speed (100% speed).
Please refer to our tutorial:
https://docs.sunfounder.com/projects/pironman5/en/latest/advanced/fans.html#pwm-fan

As you mentioned, the fan can be seen spinning when the Pi starts up. Once the operating system begins to run, the fan stops spinning. This is normal.

Since your CPU temperature is only over 90°F, which converts to about 32°C, it is below 50°C, so the PWM fan remains off (0% speed). Therefore, it is normal for the PWM fan not to operate.
Here is the formula for converting Fahrenheit to Celsius:
°C = (°F − 32) × 5/9

2.RGB Fan Cannot Be Controlled to Turn Off

Please execute the command uname -r to check the system kernel version and let us know.
We apologize, as the issue is due to the kernel upgrade version. Currently, the new kernel is temporarily incompatible with GPIO, and we need some time to resolve this. We appreciate your patience! If we solve the issue, we will update everyone here.

The current solution is to lower the kernel version. Execute the following command:
sudo rpi-update 44a287fe97c04506841fe3b3e794c70a2e01c7de
Then restart the Pironman 5 and try to control the RGB fan again.

This did not work, I restarted the raspberrypi and the pironman5.service, fans are still at full speed even after changing the setting to -gm 4

Running uname -r I am on 6.6.44v8-16k+ Moving to this Kernal Version did at least bring operability to the GPIO Fans, showing on the Dashboard and being able to control fan settings through the Dash. I still cannot set any speeds or customize LEDs in those Fans.

For the PWM Fan I guess I will keep monitoring for a time my Temps waiting for it to Hit 50C to see if that fan kicks on. Is there a way to tune those setting to turn on at different temperature to at least test operability? I am under the impression that the “Always On” setting in fan controls would also affect the PWM Fans and not just the GPIO Fans, but when set on Always On, the PWM fan does not kick on like the GPIO.

By my side I enter those commands into /boot/firmware/config.txt

dtparam=fan_temp0=40000
dtparam=fan_temp0_hyst=10000
dtparam=fan_temp0_speed=125

The first one is to set the high temp limit
The second is to set when the fan will stop
And third is fan speed, 0 = off, 255= 100%

1 Like

Adding those lines to /boot/firmware/config.txt I still for some reason cannot get the PWM Fan to spin up. Even setting speed to 255.

Also if you set max temp a 25 or 30 C, 25000 or 30000. All wires are well plug as shown into instructions? During booting, does PWM fan is working?

1 Like

You got me playing with those values a bit and I did finally get it to kick on while booted!

Now just going to do some fine tuning with that. Much appreciated to the help through this. Just happy that I know that the fan does indeed work.

I’ll be on the lookout for any updates on the compatibility for the new Kernal Version as well.

Dharma: After you execute the command:
sudo rpi-update 44a287fe97c04506841fe3b3e794c70a2e01c7de
to downgrade the kernel version, please restart the Raspberry Pi and use the uname -r command to check if the kernel version is now 6.6.44. If it is not, it means the downgrade was not successful, and I recommend re-running the command.

ItsMyko: After you changed the kernel version to 6.6.44, the RGB fan can now be properly adjusted and turned off, right? Regarding your question about setting the RGB fan’s LED, that’s correct—the RGB fan’s LED cannot be adjusted through code or commands. Only the RGB lights on the IO expansion board can be controlled.

Yes, I can now control the RGB Fans after downgrading to 6.6.44. Thank you for the information regarding LEDs of the RGB Fans.

1 Like

Still no joy with the oven fan not working. Checked temps but nothing. Definitely seems like a bug somewhere.

“Oven” fan??!! You in the right forum lol!?

Yes, I’ve done this multiple times now that I’ve given up. This is upsetting to say the least…the sound of the fans are irritating at this rate it’s at full blast.