Lizard IR Receiver test failed

Hello and Happy New Year,

I have connected the 9v battery, the servos and the IR receiver module on the expansion board as instructed in page 9-10 from the manual. The result can be seen in the photo attached

I have then installed the Arduino IDE (v2.2.1), set up the board used, and installed the IRremote library (v2.8.0), opened the Test.ino from the zip package and performed the servo test, which was successful. After that I have commented out the line 31 and uncommented line 32 in order to perform the IR receiver, but after successfully uploading the code and switched on the power, the blue and red leds from the IR Receiver module turned on, but nothing was written on the Serial Monitor(the baud rate was set to 115200) when I have (gently) pressed on any of the buttons from the remote control, as if the IR Receiver does not receive any data. I mention that I have replaced the battery from the remote control and the remote control works (as I have checked with my phone camera).
I also mention that I have tried to connect the IR Received module using the following PIN (8) and then modified the RECV_PIN from the test.ino file and then I have reuploaded the code to the Arduino board but the result was the same(nothing get written on the Serial Monitor)
Is there anything else that I could try, or does this mean that the IR Receiver module is not working was expected?

Thank you,

Best regards,
Olimpiu

1 Like

We suggest you record a video of the operation process to us, so that we can analyze and solve the problem.
If it is confirmed that the IR receiver module is faulty, we will arrange to send you a new IR receiver module.

Could you please provide more details regarding the video?
Eg: Video codec to be used, maximum size etc,
Also, could you let me know what exactly to record (the execution of the test for IR Receiver is enough, or should I also record the test for the servo, so that you can see that this test is successfull ) ?

Thank you,

Best regards,

You don’t need our confirmation if you test the servos successfully.
Be careful to comment out line 31 and uncomment line 32, if you uncomment both, the work will not work.
You just need to perform the IR receiver test, then go to the monitor page to see the printout, use the remote control to send a signal to the IR receiver to see the printout, and the working status of the IR receiver. (Share this process video with us)

Hello,

I have recorded a video which can be found at the following link IR Receiver test
Please let me know if you can access the video and if I recorded what is needed in order to analyze the problem.

PS: I realized after I have recorded the video that the phone camera did not catch the left side of the screen in order to see more clearly that the baud rate for the Serial Monitor is set to 115200.

Best regards,
Olimpiu

As you can see from the video, your code is correct, but there is something wrong with the status of the IR receiver, normally the red light of the IR receiver will not light up if you don’t press the remote to send the signal.
(Please see the correct video)

Do you have a double female cable, replace the wiring cable, corresponding to the module pins and lizard control board pins, and then go to run the code, see how it works.
If the same problem still occurs, there may be a problem with the IR receiver module, we will arrange for you to send a new IR receiver module.

Hello,

Today, when I was about to try with other cables, as you said I figured out what the problem is: the white jack from the 3 pin anti-reverse cable can be connected in a single way/direction to the IR Receiver module(as the name suggests), but with the 3 pin anti-reverse cable I have received, the black wire is goes to the SIG pin, and the yellow cable goes to the GRD pin (on the IR Receiver module only the last letter can be seen, D from GRD, C from VCC and G from SIG) so if I connect the other end if the e wires as it is shown in the manual(the black wire to the exterior of the expansion board, the red wire in the middle and the yellow wire to the interior if the board) it means that the GRD pin from the IR receiver module is connected to the SIG pin from the expansion board and the SIG pin from IR Receiver Module is connected to the GRD pin from the expansion board. If on the expansion board connect the yellow cable to the exterior pin and the black cable to the interior pin as it can be seen in the picture below

, everything works as expected(when I press a button on the remote control, the code is printed on the Serial Monitor).
It seems that I have received a wrong 3 pin anti-reverse cable, but fortunately, there is an easy fix for this.

Best regards,
Thank you for your support.

After I wrote the previous comment, I have watched the correct video you have uploaded, and as you can see, the black wire is near the blue led from the IR Receiver module, while in my case, with the 3 pin anti-reverse cable I have received the yellow wire is near the blue led, as you can see below

This also confirms my conclusion (that I have received a wrong cable) from my previous post.

Best regards

Our after-sales team will contact you by email to send you a replacement with the correct cable, please check your email.

Thank you for your support!

1 Like

Hello,

I have received the parcel with the correct cable. Thank you.
During the IR Remote test, I have noticed that regardless of the way I press the buttons on the remote control (long/short press) code 0xFFFFFF was always returned after the actual key code, so I have modified a bit the Lizard_robot.ino, so that whenever 0xFFFFFF is returned, the old key code returned is used, and now everything works as expected(with the original ino file nothing happened regardless of the key pressed on the remote control). The modified ino file can be downloaded from the following link, in case anyone else comes across the same problem.

Best regards,

1 Like