Preferred Debian Version as of May-2023, Picar-X

I’m running into problems with the module installation scripts. I have tried Buster, Bullseye32, and Bullseye64. Bullseye32 is the best of them so far, it only fails with the i2samp.sh script, hardware not supported. So, I just want to back up now and ask, of someone at SunFounder, or someone who has very recently done a full install, which is the preferred version?

Once I have that sorted out, I will start talking about the errors I am encountering in that version.

Thank you,

Phil Avery

Yes, for now you start with Bullseye32 and if you encounter a failure in the i2samp.sh script, the hardware is not supported.
You then run curl -sS https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/i2samp.sh | bash
instead of sudo bash i2samp.sh. and reboot the Raspberry Pi system.
After that go and execute
cd /home/pi/picar-x/example
sudo python3 tts_example.py
See if you can make a sound.

Thank you. I have made great progress thanks to your assistance so far.

During the vilib installation, I am encountering this error:

I do not know what this means, but I continued on. This does not seem important for now.

I did find a more important problem. When I enable the camera in raspi-config, it causes VNC to fail. My version of raspi-config is slightly different, it refers to Legacy Camera.

After enabling this and rebooting, VNC shows this screen:

I have found a work-around, if a monitor is connected directly to the Raspberry Pi during boot, VNC will connect, and the camera works, at least to the degree that the Computer Vision example works.

This is obviously not ideal, it would be better if the Picar-X could be fully functional without having a monitor connected while booting. I can move ahead, but any suggestions to be able to boot the car without a monitor, and have it completely working would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you for your help so far.

Phil Avery

You should use ssh to connect to the ip remotely if you encounter this situation, or use the putty tool to connect to the IP.
Let’s use the putty tool to connect to the ip and execute sudo raspi-config to enter the setup page.
For the operation, please see our image at

After restarting the Raspberry Pi system, go to vnc and open the remote connection to see.

Thank you once again. Unfortunately, setting vnc resolution to 1024x768 did not solve the problem. If the camera is enabled via raspi-config, VNC shows the black screen with ‘Cannot currently show the desktop’. If I disable the camera in raspi-config, VNC works properly.

However, I did get it working properly with another method, so this is no longer a problem. Here is what I did:

Edit config.txt with sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Uncomment this: hdmi_force_ hotplug=1
Uncomment this: hdmi_group= 1
Uncomment and set this: hdmi_mode= 16
save and reboot

This problem and this solution can be found at:

https://www.shellhacks.com/raspberry-pi-force-hdmi-hotplug/

I do, once again, thank you for your prompt replies and suggestions. I believe my Picar-X is now fully functional. If I have further issues, I will start a new thread. But I think this is enough to keep me working for quite some time.

Best Regards,

Phil Avery

1 Like

I can’t get the i2samp.sh script to work either. And the curl command gives me the same error, it appears buster is no longer supported by the adafruit libraries.
pi@picar-x:~ $ curl -sS https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/i2samp.sh | bash

Here is the error I get:

— Warning —

The i2s amplifier installer
does not work on this version of Raspbian.
Check GitHub: Let’s build from here · GitHub
for additional information and support

This needs to be tested and confirmed before I can reply tomorrow.

OK. I did look at the i2samp.sh script and the line for buster sets it to false:
elif cat /etc/os-release | grep “buster” > /dev/null; then
IS_SUPPORTED=false && IS_EXPERIMENTAL=false
I edited the script and set the experimental to true and the script appeared to run. Unfortunately my battery order won’t arrive for a couple of days so I can’t test to see if sound works on the picar-x. The sound through the pi speakers (connected to the 3.5 jack on the pi) stops working after running the script, but I think that is expected. Let me know what you find, and after my batteries show up I will report if the sound is working on the car.

Thank you for your feedback, we have fixed the issue that
You execute it:
cd ~/picar-x
git pull
sudo python3 setup.py install
and then run it again:
cd ~/picar-x
sudo bash i2samp.sh
Try it, if you have an external screen, run sudo killall pulseaudio first, then sudo bash i2samp.sh

The new i2samp.sh script worked. And after I got my batteries the test sound worked on the front right side but not the front left. I’m not sure if both sides are supposed to work, but I am continuing the build of my picar-x.

The robot hat of picar-X has only one speaker, there is no distinction between left front and right front!
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, please elaborate, or have a video to better understand what you mean.

The test program at the end of the i2samp.sh script tries to play from a left and right speaker, but only the right speaker makes sound. Because there is only one speaker this make sense. Everything is working I have run many of the example programs and the picar-x is working properly and the sound works also. Thanks for your help.

1 Like