Pironman - not recognizing SSD

Is it possible to increase the USB power provided to the SSD?

When I connect the pironman board to my Pi (Pi 4, 1GB, Rev 1.1) the pi cannot detect the SSD drive. More precisely - it temporarily seems to detect it but then lets it go when it draws too much power. Continuous notifications of ‘Drive was removed without ejecting’.

1. It does not show up using
    sudo fdisk -l or the GPARTED tool or lsblk

2. dmesg seems to show that it is triggering an overcurrent change

dmesg
.011489] sd 0:0:0:0: tag#25 uas_zap_pending 0 uas-tag 1 inflight: CMD
[ 559.011507] sd 0:0:0:0: tag#25 CDB: opcode=0x0 00 00 00 00 00 00
[ 559.011621] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Read Capacity(16) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 559.011631] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense not available.
[ 559.011659] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Read Capacity(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 559.011666] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense not available.
[ 559.011692] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 0 512-byte logical blocks: (0 B/0 B)
[ 559.011699] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 0-byte physical blocks
[ 559.011718] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[ 559.011726] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
[ 559.011740] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Asking for cache data failed
[ 559.011746] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 559.012702] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Read Capacity(16) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 559.012722] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense not available.
[ 559.012751] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Read Capacity(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 559.012757] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Sense not available.
[ 559.012816] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
[ 559.203164] usb usb2-port3: over-current change #363
[ 559.419303] usb usb2-port4: over-current change #343
[ 559.635229] usb usb2-port1: over-current change #369

1. However the lsusb does not show a current draw.
    (max 150mA for the mouse and keyboard).

Is there a way to increase the current made available to the SSD drive? Raspberry Pi documentation claims up to 1.2A should be available.

Particularly since the 5V is delivered directly to the Pironman Board I do not see how this is possible.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Herman

1. Try to comment out the 3d driver in /boot/config,
    #Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver
    #dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
    #max_framebuffers=2, this will reduce the current required by the Raspberry Pi to start
  2. The SSD on the sub-board is directly powered by the USB port of the Raspberry Pi. You can try to supply power directly from the power port of the Raspberry Pi to see if it can drive the SSD.

Have tried this. It makes no difference. Same error messages.

1. What are the voltage and current parameters of the power supply you use? The official power supply of Raspberry Pi 4 is 5v, 3A
  2. Do you have the parameters of SSD-rated current, maybe your SSD requires a larger current
  3. If you have connected other devices via USB, please unplug it and leave the SSD for another try.
  1. I use the official Raspberry Pi power supplies. So 5.1V, 3.0A. This was inserted both into the board and a separate one into the Raspberry Pi itself. (Also a 5.1V, 3.0A). So there should be enough current available for whatever the SSD needs.
  2. I am not able to find a spec sheet online. I guess that is a bad sign. Amazon recommended it as being frequently purchased with Pi Argon case.

Intenso M.2 SSD - Sata III - Top. 256 GB

(Attachment solid_state_drive_internal_m.2_top.pdf is missing)

Assuming that there is no problem with the SSD and the power supply, please use a typec data cable instead of the SSD bridge board to connect the Raspberry Pi USB and the SSD interface of the expansion board to see if it works. If yes, then the bridge board is damaged, and we will reissue the damaged device for you.

I had this issue as well at one stage where I was trying to charge my portable monitor off the usb ports of the raspberry at the same time as using the ssd drive. For some reason the official power supply can’t give out a lot of power via the main board to the usb ports (other than for keyboard and mouse like tasks!). Unless your main board is developed wrong or too sensitive? My only power supply is always plugged to the case, not the raspi board.

We have measured using a power meter:
The power supply is connected to the pironman power connector:
Without SSD connected, the output current of all USB ports of Raspberry Pi is 1.2A.
If the SSD is connected, the output current of all USB ports of the Raspberry Pi is 1A, and the output current reaches 1A, the SSD will be ejected.
Power supply to the Raspberry Pi power connector:
No access to SSD, Raspberry Pi all USB interface output current is 1.2A.
If the SSD is connected, the output of all USB ports of Raspberry Pi is 1A, and the output current reaches 1A, the SSD will be ejected.
So it is the Raspberry Pi reason to eject the SSD by itself.
The video of the measurement has been uploaded, which is connected to the Raspberry Pi power supply and connected to the pironman power supply respectively.

hi
i have the same problem what is the solutin
i have this ssd i thing it is the same

Intenso Internal M.2 SSD SATA III Top, 256 GB, 520 MB/s

every thing els work fine

If you encounter is the same problem, then I suggest you browse the above first, also, don’t connect too many devices to the Raspberry Pi USB port. It is possible that the power supply is insufficient to cause some devices can not be used normally.

1. Please re-plug the USB bridge version, whether it is effective or not
  2. Use typec cable to connect SSD interface and PC, check if PC recognizes SSD (note that you need to check if it is recognized from device manager)
  3. Use the typec cable to connect the SSD and Raspberry Pi, replace the Raspberry with other USB interface, see if the PC recognizes the SSD.
  4. If the typeC cable instead of usb bridge board to connect the raspberry pi and pironman motherboard, still can not detect the SSD, that is pironman motherboard interface problem.

Hi i just ssd shows up in windows with no problem
i also try a bigger power supply from my cromebook does not help the carger is use normaly is orginal pi 5,1 v 2,5 A
i then try to but in a normal usb with usb-c , i try 3 differet cable i have in the house 2 of them it shows up in the pie, so there must be a differce in my cable version.
but when i use the brigde theat was with the case it does nor work so there must be something wrong with that how do i get a replacement?
i got it on amazon.de i germany i just got it yersterday

We think the bridge board is broken, so we will arrange to send you a replacement, please contact this email service@sunfounder.com, our after-sales team will serve you.

Hi I have the same issue. I tried removing the bridge and put in a cable after reading here and it works. There is something wrong with the bridge. Can I fix it myself or do you need to send me a new one?

Please contact our after-sales team ( service@sunfounder.com)as well, sending you a new one is a better solution.